Sunday, July 1, 2012

What Really Matters

Anyone who knows me knows that I am classic for inserting in my foot in mouth. Not all the time, thank goodness, but more often then I would like, I'm the type to say the wrong thing. Some examples would be to mention a girl's lack of fidelity in front of her ex, to criticize a store that a friend shops at (and is most likely wearing). I felt especially guilty after watching House Hunters with a friend last week and criticizing a couple's decision to buy a house with one bathroom. One bathroom?! I told Aaron I couldn't imagine living with one bathroom and having to share with children and guests. Then I remembered-Aaron grew up in a house with only bathroom. Oops. Count your blessings, Lauren, realize some of your must-haves are not really as crucial, important and impossible to live without as you think...like this wedding.


Weddings are so over-hyped these days, I think it makes it especially hard to be thankful when planning a wedding. Shows like Four Weddings make every detail seem so crucial. The girls criticize each other over the food at cocktail hour, the wedding isn't extravagant enough. It's enough to put a budget-minded girl like me in a frenzy-we must serve hors d'oeuvres at cocktail hour, the invitations must be letterpress. Come to think of it, I haven't even been to a wedding as frilly and detailed as the ones I've see on tv or blogs (okay-well there was one).  Yet, I've never been to a bad wedding either-what is that? Weddings are about congratulating the couple, seeing your friends and family. The only thing that could truly make a wedding bad would be if the couple broke up before the night was over! An added perk to a wedding is being able to get down on the dance floor...but aside from that, I'm not judgmental of the venue or food, just grateful to be invited. So why am I getting worked up over all of these insignificant details?

Sometimes the things I read in magazines are so ridiculous they're laughable. Like a suggestion I have a gospel choir sing at my wedding or that I have a band lead a parade from the ceremony to the reception. It's a wedding, not a circus! It's not my job for my wedding to be the best day of my guests' lives-it's not in my budget, either! The most important thing I will be doing at my wedding is committing my life and heart to Aaron.

Do I still want nice things at my wedding? Yes, of course. I'd appreciate a few ooh's and aah's over the centerpieces. However, I will orchestrate these things within reason and within a budget. I've heard of couples racking up credit card debt, some even emptying their 401ks to pay for weddings. No thank you, I have a life to live after my wedding. And so do my parents. So I am thankful to everything they are affording me, I know some girls are not as fortunate to have their parents provide them with a wedding. I know there will be times in the future I will be disappointed by finding out something is outside of my budget, I may have to settle. However, I am super excited about seeing my groom waiting for me at the end of my aisle on my wedding day and our family and friends being able to share the moment with us. It isn't a production, it's a wedding!


No comments:

Post a Comment