Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY...Not.

I am so not a DIY girl.  I wish I was.  I wish I was super crafty, knew how to sew, altered my own clothes and sewed upholstery for my couch and chairs.  But I am so not.  I don't know how and, in my life right now, I don't have the time.  I guess it's good I'm going to be a doctor, so I can overpay someone to do these things for me.  Maybe in my part-time stay-at-home Mom life I'll learn these tasks, but probably not since I'll be busy mothering.  At least I can cook.

So for the wedding, do I plan on printing my own Save the Dates? Invitations?  No.  I've seen some nice home-printed ones, unfortunately I don't completely trust my printer.  That and I just don't want to!  Lol, I'm sad.  However, I'm thinking of tackling a few DIYs...


I love these lace garters.  I can't remember what site I saw them on, but I probably didn't save the link because they were priced around $65.  For once, a search on Etsy did not provide a comparable substitute (or rather, an affordable substitute).  So I've been thinking about making my own.  I found the instructions here and it doesn't seem too bad.  However, remember, I can't sew.  So by making it myself I guess I mean buying the pieces and asking my aunt to make it for me. :-(  Well, that's a step in the right direction.


I think flower crowns are adorable!  I don't care what other people think (too cutesy?), I want our flower girl to have one.  Also, I really want it to be made with fresh flowers.  So I'm thinking about purchasing the green wire and tape, and buying some baby's breath and flowers a day or two before the wedding and putting this together.  Problem here? The best results probably happen if it's done the day before, when I'll be running around doing 1001 other prewedding things, hanging out with my bridesmaids.  So...perhaps another task I may have to delegate.  Well, at least I'm trying!

So it doesn't look like DIY is working out too well for me right now.  We'll see.  I'm sure many more tasks will come along.  Baroque-style picture frames maybe?  I'm thinking you spray paint the frame and then paint the glass with chalkboard paint. I don't want this for all the table numbers, but I was thinking of mixing it up with some more traditional numbering.  We'll see. 


Girls/brides/future brides are you DIY heavy?  Or if you're already married, were you?  Let me know and share tips!!!


2 comments: