Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sick

I woke up this morning with a throat on fire, a tender neck and an all-over feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.  Sick. :-( Since I'm a medical student, I took advantage of the fact that I can stay at home and the hospital will run smoothly without me (sometimes smoother).  I don't know what I'll do as a resident when these things happen.  I don't think you have a choice but to go to work and trudge through it.

Since I'm at home today, I'll be spending my time working from bed preparing my invitation suites.  I pick up all my envelopes this weekend and couldn't be more ecstatic!  I'm trying to get everything ready to I can simply stuff and mail next week.  As long as they go out by Friday they'll be going out a little over the 6 week mark...which is not late people!  The Knot and a few other websites told me the traditional time to mail invitations is between 6-8 weeks.  So I aimed for 8, knowing I'd be a little slow and make it by 6.  With people sending out invitations earlier and earlier these days, so many people have asked me about mailing invitations, hotel accommodations, blah blah blah. I know they may be 'excited' about the wedding, but I'm really just getting sick of it, I just want to tell these people Hey! Have you ever stamped 400 envelopes, tied 200 invitation sets and mailed them?!  No, I didn't think so.  Some days I really wish I had a wedding planner because my mom and especially my aunt are not so helpful.  

Here's a picture of how wedding planning goes...

June
I've booked Fairmont UMC for the wedding ceremony.  I state I'm going to call the Fairmont organist and ask her to play for us.  My mother and aunt go up in arms over should I get an organist I know to play (I don't know any organists) and they'll find one for me.  Uh, okay.  

December
No organist yet.  My mom calls one she knows.  Who keeps saying maybe, maybe, maybe.

January
Organist says actually she can't play.  I tell my aunt who says, "oh no Lauren...finding an organist will be hard.  I wish you luck with that."  -_-  

Conversation with my mom 1 weeks ago
Mom: Have you found an organist yet?
Me: No...I've contacted 3 people.  2 had never played a pipe organ before and were intimidated, the third was busy.  The Fairmont organist hasn't contacted me back yet and it's been a few days.  Everyone gives me references though so now I'm working on that list.

Days pass, and I'm making phone calls...
Mom: Have you found an organist yet?
Me: No....
Mom:  Well, a teacher I work with, her husband's an organist at a church in North Hills.  Want me to ask her?
Me: ....dumbfounded my mom has been watching me work hard at this when she had a connection to another organist all along.  ***head steaming***

Thankfully, like so many things with the wedding, things all fell together yesterday when the Fairmont church organist emailed me and apologized for being MIA and yes, she could play the organ for our wedding.  Which is better, because going with my family's references have all bombed and a family reference is actually a warning sign at this point.  My mom's friend who said she could do my wedding hair and make-up?  After failing to tell me she had the "flu" and not showing up to our trial appointment, I've never heard from her again.  So I got the joy of spending $500 on hiring a hair stylist and make-up artist, but at least I know they are good, professional and trustworthy.  

Forgive me folks.  I'm literally sick, and I'm also getting a bit sick and tired of wedding planning...but still excited. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment